MUSCATINE, Iowa – The leaf collection efforts by Department of Public Works crews has been delayed due to the snow covered and frozen leaves. City crews will not be picking up leaves on Tuesday, Nov. 12, or Wednesday, Nov. 13, but will resume on Thursday, Nov. 14, in Zone 4.
The third snowfall of the season occurred Sunday and Monday followed by a dramatic drop in temperatures leaving piled leaves covered with snow and frozen to the ground.
The weather conditions have also had an effect on the operation schedule for the Muscatine Compost Site with the site now closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the remainder of the 2019 season. A decision on when the site will officially close for the winter will be made the week after Thanksgiving.
Two leaf collection crews are using vacuum trucks and working through the eight City zones (see MAP). Crews are scheduled to complete the second round through the city by December 6, weather permitting. Work in Zone 4 will begin Nov. 13, in Zone 5 on Nov. 18, in Zone 6 on Nov. 25, and in Zone 7 on Dec. 2. An additional round will be scheduled if needed and dependent on the weather.
A few program guidelines:
- Avoid parking on the street on your scheduled leaf collection day.
- Leaf piles blocked by cards will not be collected until cars are moved.
- Do not mix trash, branches, or other yard waste with your leaf piles.
- Snow and ice control will take priority and leaf collection operations may be postponed.
- Please have your leaves out next to the curb by 7 a.m. on day of leaf pickup.
- Leaf trucks may be working in zones prior to pick up day but will return on (or after) scheduled date.
- Please contact the Department of Public Works (563-263-8933) if you have questions, believed you were missed, or are in need of a special collection.
- City of Muscatine and City of Fruitland can transport leaves to the Muscatine Compost Facility for free. A small fee is charged to non-residents and commercial users. The Compost Facility is currently open 12-6 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and Friday and from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturdays. The site is now closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- The Compost Facility also accepts brush and branches along with larger trees and logs (no tree stumps or roots, however).
- City of Muscatine staff will also pick up yard waste placed in City of Muscatine yard waste bags near the residents refuse collection bin on the day of the refuse collection.
- Call the Muscatine Transfer Station (563-263-9689) with questions regarding the Compost Facility or visit the Compost Facility page on the City of Muscatine web site.